Home > Our AMKP Experience > Our Curriculum > English
From left: Front Row – Mdm Jessie Yeo, Mdm Suzana, Mr Sudhesh (HOD), Mdm Justina Yim, Miss Pamela Tock. Middle Row – Mdm Siti Noorbiyah, Mrs Liang Hui Bing, Mdm Norsinah, Mdm Avonne Tan, Miss Nicolette Pereira, Mrs Vijaya Shankar. Back Row – Mdm Sharifah, Mr Marcus Leong, Miss Judith Lin, Mdm Michelle Wong, Mdm Kristin Hamton.
- To nurture confident communicators who enjoy learning and using English
- Raising Awareness
- Structuring Consolidation
- Facilitating Assessment for Learning
- Enabling Application
- Guiding Discovery
- Instructing Explicitly
2) Gradual Release of Responsibility (GRR) - A teaching approach that transitions students to eventually assume all the responsibility for their learning (self-directed learning).
1) Guided Graded Reading Programme (P1 and P2)
A support programme aimed at increasing students’ reading levels. Teachers who are specially trained engage students in reading using graded readers during a 45min session each week.
2) kidsRead Programme (P1 and P2)
kidsREAD is a nationwide reading programme aimed at cultivating the love of reading among Primary 1 and 2 students. Each session spans 1 hour where children are engaged in a fun and interactive programme by trained volunteers.
3) Literature Appreciation Programme (P3-P5)
This programme is conducted during English lessons in Terms 2 and 3. Students learn about plot, character and themes in age-appropriate novel that has been selected for the level.
4) Little Red Dot (P4-P6)
Students subscribe to the Little Red Dot newspaper that is delivered to the school every week. The newspaper is used as a teaching and learning resource during English lessons. Students read the articles in the newspaper and respond to them by writing or speaking about them. Their comments are captured on the school’s Padlet and the students’ Writer’s Notebooks.
5) Applied Learning Programme: Programme to develop Outstanding, Inspired and SEnsitive Communicators @ Ang Mo Kio Primary School (POISE@AMKP)
This is a programme that seeks to develop in students the competence and creativity needed to express themselves effectively. POISE@AMKP will focus on progressively building students’ communication skills in two-year blocks. The programme will develop students’ skills in 4 domains: Physical, Linguistic, Cognitive and Social & Emotional according to the Voice21 Oracy Framework.